20 Oct 08

Reading

I’m about to get the train from Runcorn to London, a two-and-a-quarter hour journey, because I am reading to an audience tonight at the Royal Festival Hall. Beginning at 7:55pm, I have 15 minutes to read “Amazing Grace,” my short story that won a first prize in the Koestler/Hamish Hamilton awards. Problem is, “Amazing Grace” is 16 pages long and takes over half an hour to read. So I’ve spent this week condensing the story down to 8 pages. According to my Olympus Digital Voice Recorder, my last practice reading came in at 14 minutes 23 seconds. And that includes a few things I want to say before I start. Like explaining that “wood” is what white prisoners call each other. And reading the story’s disclaimer, as it’s about a “shit slinger,” and is somewhat grotesque and obscene.

If you’re in London tonight, and that includes you Chris-H, you are welcome to join me for the reading. Further information is here:

http://shaunattwood.com/home/index.php?option=com_mamblog&Itemid=84

Coincidentally, today, the day of my first reading, has seen the site meter at Jon’s Jail Journal rise above 500,000. I’d like to thank you all for continuing to read Jon’s Jail Journal and for supporting my friends inside.

Email comments to writeinside@hotmail.com or post them below

Shaun P. Attwood

2 comments:

Chris Phoenix said...

Awesome! Congrats on the number of reads, and on your reading.

Chris

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

Woo Hoo, half a million strong...I think we all need some confetti here-mighty congrats all around, good luck at the reading-knock 'em dead!