Seven Months Left (by Shane)

Shane - Denied psychiatric medication by ValueOptions, Shane turned to illegal drugs financed by burglaries. For stealing a few hundred dollars worth of goods, he was sentenced to eleven years. Shane is the author of the blog Persevering Prison Pages.

With my release date getting closer, I’m growing more anxious. Although I’ve managed to get into trouble recently, I attribute those errors to legitimate pain from my systemic lupus medical condition, and my frustration at ADOC’s Medical for refusing to give me care.

Instead of making more mistakes, I’m concentrating on suing ADOC again for violating my rights. I am also seeking legal remedies for ADOC violating my hep C lawsuit settlement agreement. I’ll be a free man in court.

I have purchased a house, and my friends and small family are all waiting for me in the free world. I have also met an awesome woman who is travelling across the ocean to meet and get to know me. Emphasizing the reality of my release date nearing, my release packet was filled out yesterday. Now I await prison approval of my residence and release.

So far, Shane sounds level-headed about his release. Will he succumb to “gate fever”? The tendency of inmates to lose their minds as freedom approaches due to the mental pressure arising from contemplating the adjustment.   



Click here for Shane’s blog Persevering Prison Pages.


Shaun Attwood
   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shaun, Jose in San Diego here. I remember nearing the end of my sentence and the anxiety that accompanied it as well. What he needs to focus on is to push it out of his mind and not hype himself up. Remember that alot of inmates are jealous of someones release, and may try to provoke an incident out of spite to put more time on his sentence. We've seen it happen time and time again. Especially being so edgy, they know how to push buttons. I wouldn't come out of my cell the last few months. Not out of fear out of other inmates, but out of myself doing something stupid. A practice that a friend of mine did when he was locked up is to trick your mind into thinking that you have MORE time than your projected release date. In other words, 7 more months? Push it to 9. I never tried it myself but it may help. Another suggestion that people contemplate is "rolling up". If he has no plans to return, why not PC up? I know first hand once you do you cannot ever go back to the mainline, but who cares? It is safer in PC and you can remain locked down if you perceive someone threatening your potential release. Just sayin'...
Anywhoo, good luck Shane and God bless. Be good. -Jose in San Diego.

Jon said...

You are so right, Jose. I remember a double murderer trying to start a fight with me near my release, but he was getting released soon too, so he backed down.