Greetings from the Abyss by Jack (Part 11)

 Jack is serving life without parole, and has terminal cancer. Throughout my incarceration, Jack was a positive influence. He encouraged me to keep writing, to enter short-story competitions, and we proofread each other’s chapters. Jack is seeking pen pals, so anyone interested please email me at attwood.shaun@hotmail.co.uk for his details. 


 Dear Shaun,
 
  Hello, my friend, how are you today? Well, I hope. I’m doing OK. My problems with my chemo port have been rectified, at least for now. I had an appointment with my oncologist. My chemo nurse is a wonderful human being, and a credit to her profession. She very patiently listened to me whine about the port being clogged due to shoddy medical care provided by DOC. She then broke out the necessary supplies to flush it, and had no problem whatsoever. She said there wasn’t anything wrong with the port, and it sounded like DOC nurses had not properly seated the port needle. It actually took longer for me to whine that it did for her to flush my port.
 
  A COIV showed up at my door and said I was right, my port should be flushed every 30 days and from now on it will be done. Yea, a win for the little people. Of course, the real proof to the win will be down the road a bit, but for now I will bask in the glory of a win.
 
  Please do me a favour and express my thanks and appreciation to your blog readers. One of them, evidently, sent me a securepak of food anonymously. I have been trying to find out who sent it but it’s against DOC’s and Keefe’s policy to reveal the names of individuals who order securepaks. I would like to thank them personally, but since I’m unable to find out who it is, I must do it this way. It was very kind of this person to do this, and I was both surprised and appreciative of receiving it. It is heartfelt when I say thank you.
 
  Xena, according to rumor, completed the self surgery that was started a few years ago. Slingblade, I see almost every day, since he was given the job of medical porter. I think he is happy that he has an inside job. I don’t see many of the others due to my schedule.
 
  I want to take a moment to apologise for sounding so whiny in my last letter. I was depressed and feeling sorry for myself. I don’t want you to think that I have given up or that I will quit fighting for my life. I will try and present a more positive attitude, so don’t worry.
 
  I hope Yasmin is doing well and that her treatment is progressing without difficulty. It is a very noble and wonderful thing that Karen and Andrew are doing with their blog. I hope they have continued success and that the hospital is able to do good things with it.
 
  Take care, Shaun. Until next time,
 
  Always,
 
  Jack

Click here for Jack’s previous letter
Shaun Attwood

No comments: